Cover Crops: Selection and Management
Better understand how legumes, grasses, brassicas and other cover crop species can contribute to your operation.
Selection and Management | Economics | Establishment |
No-Till | Soil and Fertility Management | Water Management |
Pest Management | Crop Rotations | Miscellaneous |
Complete List | Additional Resources
SARE Cover Crops Webinars
As part of the Missouri SARE State Program, Debi Kelly hosted two webinars on Cover Crops in fall 2012....
Dryland Cover Cropping Boosts Yields
Nebraska farmers Keith and Brian Berns found they could use cover crops in dryland farming to increase...
Nitrogen Management with Cover Crop Mixtures
Charlie White, of Penn State Extension, presents case studies of how mixtures of different cover crop...
Selecting Cover Crops
This session addressed the relative pros and cons of various cover crop species, including the less...
Annual Cover Crops in Florida Vegetable Systems
Fact sheet series from the University of Florida IFAS Extension on integrating cover crops in vegetable...
Cover Crops Seed Selection and Planting
Whether you are new to cover crops or an advanced user, hear from two experts on how they chose and...
Cover Crop Management and Termination
Planning for proper spring management of your cover crop needs to happen before April. Learn from two...
Also, visit SARE's database for reports on these research projects:
- Cover Crop Selection and Use in Organic No-Till Farming (2010, North Dakota)
- A Novel Approach for Optimizing the Benefits of Cereal-Legume Cover Crop Mixtures in Vegetable Cropping Systems (2009, Michigan)
- Selecting Cover Crops for Diverse Functions: An Integrated Soil Management Approach for Organic Strawberry Production in North Carolina (2007, North Carolina)
- Development of Winter Cover Crop Varieties and Complementary Mixtures for North Central Region Grain Systems (2006, Michigan)
- Evaluating Winter Cover Crops for the Environment and for Profit [on dairy farms] (2005, Ohio)
- Multipurpose Brassica Cover Crops for Sustaining Northeast Farmers (2003, Maryland)
Dig deeper into cover crops research: SARE has funded hundreds of research and education projects related to cover crops since 1988. This topic room features only a glimpse into SARE's entire portfolio of cover crop research. To discover more, visit SARE's database of projects and conduct full text or advanced keyword searches.