den Biggelaar, C., R. Lal, R.K. Wiebe, H. Eswaran, V. Breneman, and P. Reich. 2004. The global impact of soil erosion on productivity. II: Effects on crop yields and production over time. Advances in Agronomy, vol. 81: 49–95.
Doran, J.W., M. Sarrantonio, and M.A. Liebig. 1996. Soil health and sustainability. In Advances in Agronomy, vol. 56, pp. 1–54. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, Inc.
Graham, R.D., R.M. Welch, D.A. Saunders, I. Ortiz-Monasterio, H.E. Bouis, M. Bonierbale, S. de Haan, G. Burgos, G. Thiele, R. Liria, C.A. Meisner, S.E. Beebe, M.J. Potts, M. Kadian, P.R. Hobbs, R.K. Gupta, and S. Twomlow. 2007. Nutritious subsistence food systems. In Advances in Agronomy, vol. 92, pp. 1–74. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, Inc.
Hillel, D. 1991. Out of the Earth: Civilization and the Life of the Soil. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Spillman, W.J. 1906. Renovation of Worn-out Soils. Farmers’ Bulletin No. 245. Washington, DC: USDA; Government Printing Office.
Topp, G.C., K.C. Wires, D.A. Angers, M.R. Carter, J.L.B. Culley, D.A. Holmstrom, B.D. Kay, G.P. Lafond, D.R. Langille, R.A. McBride, G.T. Patterson, E. Perfect, V. Rasiah, A.V. Rodd, and K.T. Webb. 1995. Changes in soil structure. In The Health of Our Soils: Toward Sustainable Agriculture in Canada, ed. D.F. Acton and L.J. Gregorich, chapter 6. Centre for Land and Biological Resources Research. Research Branch, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. Publication 1906/E.
Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- Healthy Soils
- Organic Matter: What It Is and Why It's So Important
- Amount of Organic Matter in Soils
- The Living Soil
- Soil Particles, Water, and Air
- Soil Degradation: Erosion, Compaction, and Contamination
- Nutrient Cycles and Flows
- Soil Health, Plant Health, and Pests
- Managing for High Quality Soils: Organic Matter, Soil Physical Condition, Nutrient Availability
- Cover Crops
- Crop Rotations
- Animal Manures for Increasing Organic Matter and Supplying Nutrients
- Making and Using Composts
- Reducing Erosion and Runoff
- Preventing and Lessening Compaction
- Reducing Tillage
- Managing Water: Irrigation and Drainage
- Nutrient Management: An Introduction
- Management of Nitrogen and Phosphorus
- Other Fertility Issues: Nutrients, CEC, Acidity, and Alkalinity
- Getting the Most From Routine Soil Tests
- Taking Soil Samples
- Accuracy of Recommendations Based on Soil Tests
- Sources of Confusion About Soil Tests
- Soil Testing for Nitrogen
- Soil Testing for P
- Testing Soils for Organic Matter
- Interpreting Soil Test Results
- Adjusting a Soil Test Recommendation
- Making Adjustments to Fertilizer Application Rates
- Managing Field Nutrient Variability
- The Basic Cation Saturation Ratio System
- Summary and Sources
- How Good Are Your Soils? Field and Laboratory Evaluation of Soil Health
- Putting It All Together