Brady, N.C., and R.R. Weil. 2008. The Nature and Properties of Soils, 14th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Hill, R.L. 1990. Long-term conventional and no-tillage effects on selected soil physical properties. Soil Science Society of America Journal 54: 161–166.
Karunatilake, U., and H.M. van Es. 2002. Temporal and spatial changes in soil structure from tillage and rainfall after alfalfa corn conversion in a clay loam soil. Soil and Tillage Research 67: 135–146.
Kay, B.D. 1990. Rates of change of soil structure under cropping systems. Advances in Soil Science 12: 1–52.
Shepard, G., C. Ross, L. Basher, and S. Suggar. Visual Soil Assessment, vol. 2: Soil Management Guidelines for Cropping and Pastoral Grazing on Flat to Rolling Country. Palmerston North, New Zealand: Horizons.mw and Landcare Research.
Whitman, H., ed. 2007. Healthy Soils for Sustainable Vegetable Farms: Ute Guide. Clayton North, Victoria: Land and Water Australia, AUSVEG, Ltd.
Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- Healthy Soils
- Organic Matter: What It Is and Why It's So Important
- Amount of Organic Matter in Soils
- The Living Soil
- Soil Particles, Water, and Air
- Soil Degradation: Erosion, Compaction, and Contamination
- Nutrient Cycles and Flows
- Soil Health, Plant Health, and Pests
- Managing for High Quality Soils: Organic Matter, Soil Physical Condition, Nutrient Availability
- Cover Crops
- Crop Rotations
- Animal Manures for Increasing Organic Matter and Supplying Nutrients
- Making and Using Composts
- Reducing Erosion and Runoff
- Preventing and Lessening Compaction
- Reducing Tillage
- Managing Water: Irrigation and Drainage
- Nutrient Management: An Introduction
- Management of Nitrogen and Phosphorus
- Other Fertility Issues: Nutrients, CEC, Acidity, and Alkalinity
- Getting the Most From Routine Soil Tests
- Taking Soil Samples
- Accuracy of Recommendations Based on Soil Tests
- Sources of Confusion About Soil Tests
- Soil Testing for Nitrogen
- Soil Testing for P
- Testing Soils for Organic Matter
- Interpreting Soil Test Results
- Adjusting a Soil Test Recommendation
- Making Adjustments to Fertilizer Application Rates
- Managing Field Nutrient Variability
- The Basic Cation Saturation Ratio System
- Summary and Sources
- How Good Are Your Soils? Field and Laboratory Evaluation of Soil Health
- Putting It All Together