- Smith, M.A., J.D. Rodgers, J.L. Dodd and Q.D. Skinner. 1992. Declining forage availability effects on utilization and community selection by cattle. Journal of Range Management 45: 391–395.
- Blackburn, W.H. 1984. Impacts of grazing intensity and specialized grazing systems on watershed characteristics and responses. Pages 927–933 in Developing Strategies for Rangeland Management. Natural Resources Council/National Academy of Science, Westview Press: Boulder, CO.
- Kauffman, J.B., W.C. Krueger and M. Vavra. 1983. Impacts of cattle grazing streambanks in northeastern Oregon. Journal of Range Management 36: 683–685.
- Bailey, D.W. and G.R. Welling. 1999. Modification of cattle grazing distribution with dehydrated molasses supplement. Journal of Range Management 52: 575–582.
- Ganskop, D. 2001. Manipulating cattle distribution with salt and water in large arid-land pastures: A GPS/GIS assessment. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 73: 251–262.
- Bailey, D.W., D.D. Kress, D.C. Anderson, D.L. Boss and E.T. Miller. 2001. Relationship between terrain use and performance of beef cows grazing foothill rangeland. Journal of Animal Science 79: 1883–1891.
- VanWagoner, H.C., D.W. Bailey, D.D. Kress, D.C. Anderson and K.C. Davis. 2006. Differences among beef sire breeds and relationships between terrain use and performance when daughters graze foothill rangelands as cows. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 97: 105–121.
- Herbel, C.H., and F.N. Nelson. 1966. Activities of Hereford and Santa Gertrudis cattle on southern New Mexico range. Journal of Range Management 19: 173–176.
- Russell, M.L., D.W. Bailey, M.G. Thomas and B.K. Witmore. 2012. Grazing distribution and diet quality of Angus, Brangus, and Brahman cows in the Chihuahuan Desert. Rangeland Ecology and Management 65: 371–381.
- Howery, L.D., F.D. Provenza, R.E. Banner and C.B. Scott. 1998. Social and environmental factors influence cattle distribution on rangeland. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 55: 231–244.
- Bailey, D.W., M.G. Thomas, J.W. Walker, B.K. Witmore and D. Tolleson. 2010. Effect of previous experience on grazing patterns and diet selection of Brangus cows in the Chihuahuan Desert. Rangeland Ecology and Management 63: 223–232.
- Bailey, D.W., M.R. Keil and L.R. Rittenhouse. 2004. Research observation: Daily movement patterns of hill climbing and bottom dwelling cows. Journal of Range Management 57: 20–28.
- Bailey, D.W., H.C. VanWagoner and R. Weinmeister. 2006. Individual animal selection has the potential to improve uniformity of grazing on foothill rangeland. Rangeland Ecology and Management 59: 351–358.
- Clary, W.P. and W.C. Leininger. 2000. Stubble height as a tool for management of riparian areas. Journal of Range Management 53: 562–573.
- Bailey, D.W., S. Lunt, A. Lipka, M.G. Thomas, J.F. Medrano, A. Cánovas, G. Rincon, M.B. Stephenson and D. Jensen. 2015. Genetic influences on cattle grazing distribution: association of genetic markers with terrain use in cattle. Rangeland Ecology and Management 68: 142–149.
Selecting Cattle to Improve Grazing Distribution Patterns, Rangeland Health and Water Quality
2021 | 6 pages|