Cover Crop Topic Room: Soil and Fertility Management
Organic Fertilizer and Cover Crop Calculator
This free online tool compares the nutrient value and cost of cover crops, organic and synthetic fertilizers...
Estimating Plant-Available Nitrogen Release from Cover Crops
This Oregon State University fact sheet explains the basics of plant-available nitrogen (PAN); when...
Understanding Soil Microbes and Nutrient Recycling
This fact sheet provides information about soil microbes, nutrient recycling, and microbial soil organic...
Using Cover Crops to Improve Soil and Water Quality
This fact sheet highlights the physical, chemical, biological, and economic benefits of using cover...
Cover Crops for Soil Health and Nutrient Conservation and Update on the PSU Cover Crop Interseeder
Dr. Sjoerd Duiker presents how cover crops can be used to conserve nutrients over the winter, reduce...
Cover Cropping: On-Farm, Solar-Powered Soil Building
This information sheet gives an overview of how to use cover crops to maintain good levels of nutrients...
Optimizing Weed Suppression and Nutrient Use Efficiency in Cover Crop-Based No-Till Organic Corn
In this webinar, Hanna Poffenbarger of the University of Maryland and Steven Mirsky of the USDA-ARS...
Nitrogen Management with Cover Crop Mixtures
Charlie White, of Penn State Extension, presents case studies of how mixtures of different cover crop...
Soil Health Principles
This session covered basic principles necessary to build soil health.
Cover Crops as Part of an Overall Nutrient Management System
Learn from soil health experts about some of the latest research on impacts of cover crops on soil nutrients....
Cover Crops, Soil Health Principles and Maximizing Yields
Learn about basic soil health principles and how cover crops are key to making those happen on your...
Combining Livestock, Manure and Cover Crops
A livestock and cover crop combination is the fastest way to profit from your investment.
Also, visit SARE's database for reports on these research projects:
- Corn Silage Production with Kura Clover Living Mulch and Winter Rye Cover Crop; Soil Erosion, Nutrient Runoff, and Soil Physical Properties (2010, Wisconsin)
- Lighting up the Black Box: Improving Legume Performance on Organic Farms by Optimizing Microbially-Mediated Plant and Soil Nitrogen Cycling Processes (2010, North Carolina)
- Balancing Nitrogen Sinks and Sources Using Cover Crops on Manured Fields (2010, New York)
- Optimization of Corn Production Following Legume Green Manures (2008, Wisconsin)
- Using Oilseed as Biological Plow to Reduce Soil Compaction and Recycle Nutrients (2008, Ohio)
- Learning from Farmer Innovation in N Fixation for Improved Nutrient Management on Organic Farms (2007, New York)
- Managing Soil Food Webs for Enriched and Suppressive Soils: Effects of Cover Crop Diversity and Quality (2007, California)
- Selecting Cover Crops for Diverse Functions: An Integrated Soil Management Approach for Organic Strawberry Production in North Carolina (2007, North Carolina)
- Estimating Nitrogen Contribution from Cover Crops in Organic Vegetable and Cane Berry Farms (2006, Oregon)
- Evaluating Winter Crops for the Environment and for Profit [on dairy farms] (2005, Ohio)
- Multipurpose Brassica Cover Crops for Sustaining Northeast Farmers (2003, Maryland)
- Winter Cover Crops for Corn Production in the Northeast: N Balance and Soil Moisture Status (1989, Maryland)
Dig deeper into cover crops research: SARE has funded hundreds of research and education projects related to cover crops since 1988. This topic room features only a glimpse into SARE's entire portfolio of cover crop research. To discover more, visit SARE's database of projects and conduct full text or advanced keyword searches.