SANETiquette- Rules for the Use of SANET-MG
1. Please review these rules. Your use of SANET-MG constitutes your agreement to these terms.
2. After subscribing to the list, monitor list activity for a few days before posting to ensure that your message is appropriate for this list.
3. As a courtesy to other readers, include your name, your organization, and your e-mail address in messages to the list. Some e-mail programs remove header information from incoming mail, and this information will help identify you to other subscribers.
4. Remember, you cannot post attachments to the list. This minimizes the transmission of viruses and other objectionable material.
5. Use a detailed subject line when posting to the list. Other subscribers often determine whether to read your message based on the subject line.
6. Before posting a strongly worded message or reply, consider delaying your post.
7. When you reply to a message, your message goes to all subscribers. If you want to reply to an individual, change the recipient field of your e-mail. Double check all address fields before posting to make sure you are not posting personal messages to the entire group.
8. Before sending a message to the list, check to make sure that the information hasn’t already been posted by another subscriber.
9. When posting a question to the list, consider compiling the results and posting them for the benefit of other subscribers.
10. When posting to the list, turn off html formatting and use plain text. HTML postings appear with formatting code in digest versions of the list, making it difficult for those subscribers to read your message. When referencing a web page, consider sending the URL instead.
11. Be concise in your posts and place your comments at the top of the message when responding. You can also intersperse your responses if your replies are clearly marked. Remember that not all e-mail programs handle such replies in the same way.
12. Stay on topic. While occasional digressions can be illustrative, topical focus is important to the list’s functionality. Please conduct off topic or personal conversations in other forums or in private.
13. Please support a professional atmosphere by respecting the opinions of others, even if you disagree with them.
14. Avoid profanity, as well as any lewd, abrasive, or suggestive language.
15. Be careful in your use of humor or sarcasm in your postings. E-mail may not be interpreted in the way you intended.
16. Use mixed upper and lower case text. MESSAGES IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS APPEAR AS IF YOU ARE SHOUTING. Reserve using all capital letters solely for EMPHASIS.
17. When replying to a message, do not include the entire text of the original message unless it’s necessary. We recommend deleting a long string of previous responses to make your post more manageable. Consider summarizing the question or including relevant portions of the message to which you are responding in the first line or two of your message.
18. Be careful not to overuse acronyms or obscure references that may make it difficult for other subscribers to understand your message.
19. Don't crosspost: Posting the same message to multiple listservs is usually seen as improper.
20. If your e-mail address is going to change, unsubscribe from the list before the change. You may have difficulty unsubscribing your old account once it is closed, which will result in non delivery error messages for list posters once your account has closed.
21. When using an out of office autoresponder, remember to disable your account first- otherwise, each posting to the list will generate a reply to the entire list.