SARE Outreach Publishing Guidelines
Please read the guidelines below, then contact SARE Outreach to discuss your product idea.
SARE Outreach communications products can include, but are not limited to:
- Books, Bulletins,Video, Audio
- On-line resources (e.g. digital storytelling about SARE grantees/projects; online forums and learning networks; etc.)
- Communications research (e.g. assessment of SARE audiences: information needs, preferred form of information delivery; information impact on behavior change, etc.; impact of specific SARE communications efforts on SARE audiences; analysis of the SARE portfolio, such as an economic analysis of SA practices.)
Assistance SARE Outreach will provide:
- Production and/or distribution help for raw resources or those needing updating and reprinting (i.e. book/bulletin manuscripts)
- Financial and/or technical help for communications research projects
- Financial and/or distribution help for resources already far along in production
- Promotion and web hosting
Criteria for Product Selection:
- Topic is national or multi-regional in scope
- Considered “doable” considering SARE Outreach staff, financial and time resources.
- Meets SARE Strategic Plan Goals and Objectives (see below)
- Advances sustainable agricultural innovation to SARE’s key audiences:
- Farmers/ranchers interested in, or engaged in, sustainable agriculture
- Farmers/ranchers unfamiliar with, or hesitant about, sustainable agriculture
- Extension agents/educators/technical service providers
- Under-served, limited-resource farmers/ranchers
- Advances SARE’s information needs. Contact the Alternative Farming Systems Information Center, which specializes in identifying and accessing information related to alternative agricultural enterprises, to determine if your proposed information product meets an information gap.
- Gets SARE research results out to key audiences
- Shows potential to affect behavior change/adoption among SARE key audiences
- Has potential to feature SARE grantee(s)
- Suggested author(s) has appropriate experience/expertise (if applicable)
- SARE Outreach does not compensate authors. Rather, SARE Outreach will print, stock and distribute a title in partnership with an author.
- If you would like to re-print a publication previously published without SARE Outreach involvement, you must work with SARE Outreach on a new edition during the editorial production phase.
- If SARE Outreach is to distribute books for an author, we will charge an agreed-upon, per-book price plus shipping and handling to cover part of our inventory, handling and postage costs.
- SARE books and bulletins adhere to production standards based on the philosophy that a well-designed and organized publication will generate wider appeal. SARE Outreach generally publishes books with color covers and one- or two-colors text pages.
Product proposals are reviewed and approved by the SARE Outreach Steering Committee. The committee meets twice a year. After the committee agrees upon a project, SARE’s budget committee needs to provide final approval. That internal review process takes about one year.
To submit your information product suggestion, contact: